Sam Lawrence Park

Sam Lawrence Park

Sam Lawrence Park

History: Sam Lawrence Park can be found on the western-end of Concession Street. Prior to 1944, this property was the Webb Quarry. In February 1944, The City of Hamilton was given 3 acres (12,000 m2) of land for park use by Thomas Hambly Ross, MP (Hamilton East), and his wife Olive. The park was originally named Ross Park, then renamed Patton Park in 1946, in honour of captain John MacMillan Stevenson Patton, a Hamiltonian who risked his life during World War II by detonating an unexploded bomb. For this exploit he received the first George Cross for Valour. In 1960, the park was renamed to honour Sam Lawrence. During 1990 to 1994, Sam Lawrence Park underwent a major upgrading that included repairing the stone walls, installing new walkways, site lighting, site furniture, and the redevelopment of the major rock gardens. (Excerpted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Lawrence
Location: 251-221 Concession St Hamilton, ON L9A
GPS: 43.245152, -79.866045



Sam Lawrence Park   Merchant Marine Memorial
Sam Lawrence Park   Merchant Marine Memorial
 
Historical Sign   Sam Lawrence Park
Sign telling history of Sam Lawrence Park   East side of Sam Lawrence Park

Back

Copyright © 2017 CCI Images