First World War Memorial at the former St. Giles United Church

War Memorial

First World War Memorial

History: The former St. Giles United Church was erected in 1908 as St. Giles Presbyterian Church. After the First World War a memorial cairn was erected next to the church. In November 1919 the colours of the 86th Machine Gun Battalion were laid up in the church. Here is a link to the Order of Service for the Laying up of the Colours. Here is a link to the history of the 86th Machine Gun Battalion, believed to be the first in the British Empire.
Location: 85 Holton Ave S, Hamilton, ON L8M 2L4
GPS: 43.248645, -79.842579



Detail of memorial Memorial plaque Detail of memorial
Detail of memorial Memorial plaque Detail of memorial
 
Former St. Giles United Church Church sign Former St. Giles United Church
Former St. Giles United Church St. Giles is now part of New Vision United Church Former St. Giles United Church

Back

Copyright © 2017 CCI Images