Sanctuary Wood, July 1916
At the beginning of the First World War, Sanctuary Wood, located to the east of Ieper (Ypres) was a wooded area that provided shelter for soldiers attempting to return to their units. By July 1916, the sanctuary had been blown away, leaving only blasted stumps which formed a No Man's Land between the enemy forces.
This painting is based on a photograph in Library and Archives Canada's collection.
2016, Mixed Water Media on Paper, 14" x 11"
Copyright © 2016 E. Clare Stewart