Winnipeg, MB

The Volunteer Monument

The Volunteer Monument

History: This monument commemorates the men of the 90th Winnipeg Battalion killed in the North West Rebellion of 1885.
Here is a link to a Manitoba Historical Society article about the monument. Here is a link to an article about the Royal Winnipeg Rifles.
Location: Adjacent to the Centennial Concert Hall and the Manitoba Museum, 190 Rupert Ave, Winnipeg, MB R3B 0N2
GPS: 49.900163, -97.136428
Memorial plaque   Rededication plaque
Memorial plaque commemorating the battles of Fish Creek and Batoche.   Rededication plaque 1968
 
 
 
  Eatons Memorial plaques  
  Eatons Memorial Plaques  
History: These plaques are copies of those once displayed in Eaton’s Toronto Stores. They commemorate the company’s 578 employees killed during the First and Second World Wars. The original plaques are now on display at the Canadian War Museum.
Here is a link to an article in the National Inventory of Canadian Memorials.
The plaques in Winnipeg are now located in the Bell MTS Centre which was built on the site of the Eaton’s Department Store. Here is a link to an article by the Manitoba Historical Society. Location: Location: 345 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3C 5S4 GPS: GPS: 49.893336, -97.145917

Note: All photos on this page are © Armchair General Photos 2020

Back

Copyright © CCI Images